For as long as I can remember, I have had sensitive skin! The slightest touch I would go red, a little bang I would bruise like a peach and any soaps or facial products just made my face blotchy or break out! As I approached my teens, I started to get those dreaded spots! Unfortunately, this continued in to my early 20s and its only the past 12 months or so that my skin has cleared completely and I am now so thankful for my pretty clear complexion and soft skin! HOORAH!
Growing up with bad skin is the ultimate self confidence killer. We all go through this stage, some cases last longer than others and some have worse cases than others. GIRLS…Hands up who has got up early in the morning when staying at their boyfriends and applied make up and got back in bed?! ✋🏼 yes its shameful but it happens, I have. But thankfully because of the 3 skincare ranges I am going to talk about I haven’t done this for a year! 🙌🏼 Finding a good skincare regime for those who are prone to break outs or blotchy, irritated skin Is vital! I felt that as I understand the battle and have thankfully got through it, I thought this post may help some with their skin battle.
I couldn’t begin to tell you how low it made me feel, 24/7! I’ve had days where I have not left the house or even my bedroom! Covering my face with Sudocrem and praying I would wake up to a miracle and have a clear face! Let me tell you one thing, Sudocrem did NOTHING for it! For people with oily and blemish prone skin…. Avoid Sudocrem at all costs! BAN IT. Sudocrem causes you to produce more oils which the glands are already producing too much of, hence the spots. (I do know people who use Sudocrem all the time and don’t have problems but they tend to be people who aren’t prone to break outs)
I tried EVERYTHING!
You name it, I tried it! Nothing worked. There are truthfully only 3 Product ranges I took from years of trial and error which I would personally recommend.
Liz Earle , Forever Living Products (Aloe Vera based) and Hot Honey Mask! Here’s my verdict.
Liz Earle was introduced to me by my Grandma Anne (God rest her soul). She would swear by the Cleanse and Polish! She bought me this for Christmas one year when I was about 13 and I avoided using it! God knows why! Maybe I thought it was more for old people? Well was I wrong. It is for any age! Seriously. I wish I had used this earlier, to save me years of pain and embarrassment. Liz Earle is a very natural product with no harsh chemicals or fragrances so it doesn’t irritate the skin, I now swear by it too! (I am lucky that my Nana Brenda works at QVC so I can get it from her when they have it on offer!! Thanks Nan!!)
The Cleanse and Polish is a soft, natural, hot cloth facial wash, you apply a small amount to dry skin and massage in. You instantly feel like you are having a facial as the smells are beautiful and natural. There are no stings like some products that claim to help acne, (personally I feel anything that stings is a no no and should be avoided! You don’t want to irritate the skin further, you want to calm it!). You then wet your Muslin cloth that you get with your Cleanse and Polish, in warm water, and gently wipe, starting from chin working up. This acts as a gentle exfoliation. You will find this will take off all make up pretty easy! Even mascara! Then splash cool water on your face to close the pores. This is a product to use every day, morning and night, it leaves your face feeling soft, clean and fresh with a ‘spa like’ sensation. You really do only need a small amount, the size of 2 peas, so it lasts for ages!
The other products such as the Toner, Moisturiser and Body Lotion are just as amazing as the Cleanse and Polish. I would say use the Toner every other day if you are prone to break outs. It is still much less harsh than other toners but I find Toner in general is a stripping product and you don’t need to strip everyday, especially when the cleanse is a light exfoliator too. The Moisturiser isn’t oily, which I love! Because I struggle to find a moisturiser that isn’t oily.
Instant Boost Skin Tonic Spritzer is my absolute fave! I use this everyday, all over my body after my shower or bath. This is so light and again has the same smell as all the other products. It is great for cooling the body down but at the same time you can feel it soaking into your skin for a natural boost and revitalise. Liz Earle have many products that are all great for sensitive skin,you can buy these products from most big Boots Stores, John Lewis or the TV beauty channel QVC.
Forever Living products. Now I have blogged about these before, however not specifically for skin problems. They are Aloe Vera based so again a very natural product, I am obsessed with them!. Funnily enough my Grandma Anne also introduced me to Aloe Vera when I was younger as she and my Grandad always had a Aloe Vera plant. If I ever had a bruise or a skin irritation she would cut a piece off and dab the juice straight on. It was magical to me at the time, and still is to be honest.
I use their Propolis Cream and Aloe Gel at night on my face when I feel I’m going to have a break out or right in the middle of one.. The Propolis Cream helps to dry the blemishes out but isn’t too dry. I found it was also good under make up as a Primer.
I also use the ‘hand and face wash’ on my face when in the shower – as a quick face wash. This is the ONLY time I would recommend using anything that says use it on the hands too (don’t use normal soaps).
These products are so natural and calming on the skin and reduce redness and irritation. These products also help with other irritation and skin problems such as Eczma. (Message me for more information on buying these products quoting discount code forever101)
Hot Honey Mask is a simple, quick and brilliant home remedy face mask that takes 2 minutes. Just simply add honey to a microwaveable tub, enough to apply to the whole face (neck and back if you wish too) and microwave for 30 seconds. BE CAREFUL, do not apply to the face directly after microwaving as this could cause burns. Let it cool for several seconds and test it out on the fingers and back of hand. If feels warm still but not too hot then simply apply to whole face, avoiding eyes and leave on for as long as you like. It is sticky, and feels very weird at first. Also, you wont be able to resist licking the bits that melt onto your lip (if you like honey that is) and you can because that’s all it is! Honey! This will leave your face feeling super soft and fresh and is guaranteed to reduce redness and irritation. Honey is an amazing natural ingredient, the benefits are endless. Having antibacterial properties, prevent infection and functions as an anti-inflammatory agent, reducing both swelling and pain, and even scarring.
So ladies, and gents! If you suffer from acne, break outs, sensitive skin or just want a natural skin regime then those are my personal top 3 recommendations.
Other tips for acne sufferers are as follows (from experience)
- 10000% take your make up off at night (no excuses)
- Try not to change facial products often
- If I don’t have my Liz Earle or Forever Living Skin products with me, I don’t use anything else on my face other than warm water
- Exfoliate lightly every 2-3 days and moisturise
- DONT AND I REPEAT DONT wear thick make up that clogs your pores!! It is hard to transition from a thick full coverage foundation to a light one because of the fact we feel that if we cover the spots as much as possible then nobody will notice, yes that may be true but you will regret it when you have 10x more the following day and it becomes a vicious cycle! I finally transitioned from thick full coverage make up that is only to be used on photo-shoots and stage really, to a bare minimum tinted moisturiser and I couldn’t have made a better decision! Avoid wearing these thick make ups as everyday make up, save for a night out and your skin will thank you! I use Rimmel Light tinted moisturiser during the day or try Bare Minerals which is skin friendly
- Get sunlight and with a bare face (except do wear SPF) my skin cleared up the most from my holiday last summer where I went barefaced for a week and let the sun and sea water work its magic
- Don’t listen to people when they say it all depends what you eat, no research has proven this, although I would always encourage a healthy lifestyle with lots of fruit and veggies and protein etc anyway. Those do make your skin more radiant but they DONT stop acne and junk food certainly does NOT cause acne either (reason I say this is because I used to get so frustrated with the fact I ate healthy all the time but still suffered from skin problems, I did my research and realised that there is no evidence of junk food causing acne)
- Drink water – this one is true. It does flush the toxins from the body giving health benefits everywhere in the body
- Try not to get yourself so down about it, I know and trust me… I have first hand experienced the feeling this causes, but if you feel you are getting down about it… go to the doctor, seek counselling help and try not to corner yourself off from your friends and family.